This article from the November issue of Upfront deals with two prospectives on this issue, one from Colin Goddard (from the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence) and the other from congressman Paul C. Broun (Republican of Georgia). Colin Goddard explains that anyone could go to a gun show or private sellers and pay cash without having a background check on them. "Private sellers are considered hobbyists and aren't covered by those rules," (Colin Goddard) the rule that professional sellers must ask questions and see ID before the buyer can buy the gun. A criminal could get a gun from a private seller, and would probably get someone hurt for obtaining a gun that no one knows he just purchased. This can lead to tragedies like death and other hurtful things a criminal or a random person could do. Congressman Paul C. Broun had other ideas on the subject say that we don't need a license to free speech so it should be the same case for the right to bear arms. He stated that the people that have a history of crimes shouldn't be able to purchase guns, but any citizen could have less of a burden trying to buy a gun to protect their home with.
I agree with both, but I think it would be worse to let citizens get guns to protect themselves, because it will lead to deaths and problems. An example where having a gun would danger you and others is when a robbery happens and the robbers have guns, if someone tries to be a hero and pulls out their gun and shoots one of the robbers, one of the other robbers could shoot that person and two are dead instead of cooperating with the robbers and letting the police handle them.
If you have thoughts on this idea or want to add to one of these please comment.
Mike I think it might be to easy to get a gun!!!! There are some people (u) that I dont think I would ever want them to have a gun :D HA I can just see you getting trigger happy :D Great pharagraph!!!!!
ReplyDeleteMike, your writing greatly represents both sides of this debate. Your writing was almost like reading a magazine in this piece. I also, believe with both sides, I believe everyone has the right to buy a gun but they must have a background check. Also, I believe you should have to pass a test of some sort to buy the gun just to try to make it as fair and safe as possible. Awesome job Mike!
ReplyDeleteGreat paragraph Mike! I also think that it is much to easy to buy a gun. Guns are much more dangerous than some people might think and not just anyone should be able to get one. I think that you should only ever buy one if you know that you really need it. They aren't toys, and I think they should have more rules to how you can get a gun. Plus, you're more likely to endanger others by owning one.
ReplyDeleteGreta Job Mike!